POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My LOTW project (145K) : Re: My LOTW project (145K) Server Time
13 Jun 2024 23:55:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My LOTW project (145K)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 30 Apr 2004 04:36:50
Message: <40921022@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Neat, but must take quite long to parse...

  Not that long really, only 3 minutes. Appart from near the crackle
borders, I also permit the trees to fill sometimes an entire cell, so
this accelerates the rendering and causes the effect of little forests
here and there. I'm just thinking that the same technique can be used
with the houses to create little towns... hmmm... interesting.

> Of course no serious farmer would create such perfect crackle fields.  I
> assume developing an algorithm to automatically generate realistic
> divisions would be quite tricky though.

   :) You know, I expent many time looking at aerial photos of fields to
try to capture the order/chaos there, but the only idea that poped up
was the use of crackle.

   Indeed, I forgot to tell you something I discovered about Skylight
when making this scene (as you are one of the few known users of this
include):

   I finally found why SunColor seemed always too blue, and it was that
ovbious that I feel a bit idiot: Skylight isn't a sunlight model, but a
*sky light* model. Looking for first time at the original abstract
papers that Philippe Debar implemented, I notice that he only
implemented the one for the sky light simulation, so the SunColor
returned it's not the color of the sun, but the color of the sky at the
sun position. I'm using now instead the Blackbody() macro from CIE.inc
for the sunlight color, with variable temperature depending on the
altitude: Blackbody(2000+4500*Al). Of course, I still use the sky dome,
  and the SunColor for the fill lights.

   Regards,

--
Jaime